National Honor Society
2018-19 Canyon Park National Honor Society is a great opportunity to make new friends, do something positive for the community, and celebrate your hard work at school. Membership has just four requirements to meet. Completion of these requirements will qualify you to be eligible for participation and recognition in the Honor Society Induction Ceremony held on May 15, 2018. It also looks good on your college applications.
Here are the basic requirements:
¨ Scholarship: 3.5 cumulative GPA for the entire time at Canyon Park.
¨ Demonstration of leadership, good citizenship and character.
¨ Regular participation in HS meetings, committees and activities.
¨ Eight (8) hours (minimum) of approved community service, completed by April 30th.
Students are invited to participate in Honor Society meetings, activities and programs all year long. Sign-ups will begin at the start of school in October and continue through February.
Community Service hours are validated on official Community Service Forms. You can pick these up from the folder marked "Community Service Pick-up" from the yellow folder on Ms. Puoci’s desk in the Main Office. The form must be signed by the supervising adult at the location your service was completed (preferably not a parent). The signed form should be returned to Ms. Klemz’s mailbox in the Main Office.
The most common community service activities in which students participate are:
¨ -Tutoring after school.
¨ -Helping out at orientation, open house, and school functions.
¨ -Baby-sitting for PTSA meetings at the local elementary schools.
¨ -Volunteering at a local church, YMCA, library, retirement/assisted living home.
¨ -Group community service, such as the up-coming canned food drive.
¨ - Helping here on campus with Threads and Treads and other campus projects
Any community service you may have completed between May 1, 2018 and April 30, 2019, counts towards your eight hours.
COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY!
Request for Secondary Student Volunteers
Do you love working with children? Are you in need of service hours? If so, please read on! Six years ago we started a Homework Club (tutoring) program at the Willow Tree Grove Apartments. We invite 1st-5th grade residents to join the Homework Club, and invite middle school and high school students (and adults!) to tutor the elementary school students. We meet in the apartment cabana and students will have adult supervision at all times. We will be tutoring on Tuesdays and Thursdays this year:
Tuesday and Thursday nights, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
October 2 - November 15
January - May exact dates TBD
We welcome your involvement but ask for at least a five week commitment. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator.
If you have any questions about Honor Society, please see Ms. Klemz in the Little Theatre, or feel free to e-mail at email@example.com (Even just to say “hi”).
What Honor Society could mean to you:
Making friends, meeting new people, and interacting with adults and peers.
A sharing of experiences outside of the academic environment.
Planning and creating fun ways to reach out to the community and promote good will.
Taking a leadership role-- making your own decisions and choices.
A celebration of who you are.
Working together as a team to achieve common goals.
Uncovering or discovering the hidden talents and abilities you possess.
Developing skills and confidence.
A positive and rewarding experience.
MEETING SCHEDULE FOR 2018-2019*
When: There are three meetings during the year. Students will meet from 3:05 pm – 4:35 pm on the following dates:
- October 30th Elect officers, make fall placemats for nursing home.
- January 15th Decide on theme for Induction, make Valentines for nursing home.
- March 26th Finalize Induction Ceremony, make spring bouquets.
- May 15th is the Induction Ceremony, starting at 7:00 pm. Students should report to the Little Theater by 6:30 pm.
*Meetings are held in the little theater
HOW WE COMMUNICATE INFORMATION:
- If you are interested in being a member of Honor Society, you indicate that by attending a meeting, by talking to Ms. Klemz, Ms. Dankoff or Ms. Silva, or by turning in Community Service Hours forms to Ms. Klemz’s mailbox in the Main Office.
- We announce meetings and other information on the Honor Society webpage, in the video bulletin and during morning announcements.
- Community Service Hours are always due on or before April 30th. A list of students who qualify for Honor Society will be posted outside the Little Theatre the first week in May—it is your responsibility to check to see if your name is posted there.
- We also announce meetings and other information in the CPMS newsletter that is emailed home to parents.
Links and Forms